The Ghana National Council of Private Schools (GNACOPS) has petitioned the National Teaching Council (NTC) to if not reduce the teachers emergency license fee put in place a payment plan to lessen the financial burden on school proprietors.
Speaking in an interview monitored by AcademicWeek, the Executive Director of GNACOPS, Enoch Gyetuah said the Private Schools Council are in talks with the National Teaching Council over the cost of the emergency license.
“NTC has proposed GH¢250 of which GH¢100 is earmarked for registration and GH¢150 for training programmes. So we talking to NTC to have a payment system to lessen the burden on school proprietors,” Obengfo Gyetuah said.
Citing the worsening situation of the country’s economy, he said it would be very difficult for some private school owners to register all their teachers for the license if the Teaching Council do not put in place a payment scheme.
The Ghana National Council of Private Schools plea comes after the management of the National Teaching Council (NTC) said private school proprietors will pay GHC250.00 per non-professional teacher as an emergency or teaching license fee.
In a statement copied to AcademicWeek, the Teaching Council said an intensive training programme will be conducted for the unqualified teachers before the issuance of the emergency license to qualify them to teach as professionals.
“Proprietors of private schools are to register their non-professional teachers on NTC’s portal for a training programme leading to the issuance of an authorization to teach, herein referred to as an Emergency license,” It said in the release.
How to register a non-professional private school teacher
1. Visit the NTC portal and provide the required details
2. Check your email for an invitation by NTC and accept the innovation as “station head” by clicking on the link
3. Create a new password
4. log in to https://tpg.ntc.gov.gh as station/school
5. Click on an upload teacher list to download the CSV template
6. Fill in the template with the teachers’ information and upload the file to the portal
7. Teachers will then receive email and SMS notifications to continue the profile setup after which the proprietor makes bulk payments on behalf of their teachers. The fee per teacher is GH¢250.00.