The Minister for Education, Dr Yaw Osei Adutwum has explained his outfit’s refusal to postpone the first-year Senior High school students reporting day despite concerns raised by Teacher Unions and other relevant stakeholders.
“Given that over 81% of students were automatically placed based on their choices, it cannot be said that a lot of placements are yet to be remedied because some candidates have been placed under the region they reside.
In addition, for the first time the Ministry of Education with its relevant agencies and stakeholders, developed a National harmonized prospectus for all Senior High School and Technical and Vocational Education and Training students.
This was to give parents ample time to buy the prospectus items and get their wards ready for school on December 4, 2023,” the Minister for Education, Dr Adutwum said briefing Parliament on the first-year SHS students reporting date.
He added “Since the introduction of the double track calendar in 2017, more teaching and non-teaching staff have been employed in schools as a matter of fact, the majority of teachers are only at post when a particular track is in session. So it cannot be true that all teachers have never had any rest since the double track was introduced.”
According to the management of the Ghana Education Service, out of the 598,839 provisional BECE results received from the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), 585,797 BECE candidates qualified for school placement.
“A total of 477,772 (81.56%) prospective students have automatically been placed in one of their choices. This is a significant improvement compared to last year’s, with over 100,000 more students placed
However, 108,025 (18.44%) qualified candidates could not be matched with any of their choices. All such students are, therefore to do self-placement to select from available schools,” GES under the auspices of the Education Ministry said.