The Ghana Education Service following the ongoing Senior High Schools selection for computer placement has outlined some guidelines to assist students who sat for the 2023 BECE in the selection of their preferred second-cycle schools.
The nationwide selection of schools process which commenced in early September 2023, is expected to end on late September 2023. AcademicWeek.com has been told there will be no extension of the school selection deadline.
To ensure a smooth computer school placement this academic year, the Ministry of Education in collaboration with the Ghana Education Service (GES) has released a video on the Senior High School selection process at https://freeshs.net.
Do’s of school selection
1. Ensure you pay close attention to ALL of your school choices
2. Ensure that the schools are in order of preference from your first priority to the least priority.
3. Ensure that your compulsory Day option is within your catchment area where you can conveniently commute.
4. Ensure that as a parent/guardian, you take an active interest in your child/ward’s school choices.
5. Ensure that you consult your child/ward’s teacher to obtain a realistic prospect of the child’s chances of gaining admission to a particular school.
6. In the case of Technical Programmes, ensure that you consult the school register to verify that the schools you select offer your desired programmes.
Don’ts of school selection
1. Do not outsource school choices to someone without your express involvement.
2. Do not leave school choices to an internet cafe attendant in the case of self-placement.
3. Do not assume that you can choose a school as a Day Student and switch to Boarding upon admission.
4. Do not assume that you can choose a ‘less competitive’ Programme at a school and switch to a ‘more competitive’ one upon admission.
5. Do not choose schools based on where your friends are going or what programmes they want to read.
The Ghana Education Service as part of measures to ensure a hassle-free school placement has encouraged parents and guardians of the 2023 BECE graduates to take a keen interest in the ongoing school selection process.