The National Service Scheme (NSS) has opened its registration portal (nss.gov.gh) for defaulters and private candidates who missed the opportunity to do their national service in previous years after completing tertiary education.
In a statement shared with AcademicWeek, the management of the Scheme said the registration for the 2023/2024 service year is only for Ghanaian citizens who couldn’t undertake the mandatory national service after tertiary.
Persons eligible to partake in the registration the NSS say include previous applicants who started but could not complete their service, private applicants certified by accredited institutions and Ghanaian nationals who have studied abroad.
“Eligible applicants are thus required to submit a letter requesting a PIN code for reactivating of PIN code, certified true copy of School Certificate or Transcript, Evidence of deferment letter (if applicable),” the NSS said.
It added that “an Attestation/Introductory letter from the institution attended, a copy of Ghana card and copy of student ID with original copy for checks and for foreign students proof of study abroad are required.”
Eligible candidates according to the National Service Scheme (NSS) are required to submit registration documents to any Regional Offices of the Scheme or to NSS Headquarters in Accra from March 1, 2023, to Friday, June 30, 2023.
“The public is reminded that the National Service Act, (Act 426) of 1980 makes it mandatory for Ghanaian citizens of 18 years and above who have completed tertiary institutions to undertake national service to the State,” the Scheme noted.
How to check your NSS pincode
1. Visit the NSS pincode portal
2. Enter your Index Number/Student ID number
3. Enter your Date of Birth (The NSS says the date of birth is required for security reasons)
4. Click on the Search button to view your pincode.
How to pay for NSS pincode
1. If using Mobile Money, kindly dial *170#, and choose option 2 for “PAY BILL”
2. Choose General Payments (Option 6)
3. Enter Payment code as – NSS PINCODE (type NSS, put a space, then type your PINCODE).
4. The menu will return to your name for confirmation. Enter the deposit amount (GH¢41.00).
5. Enter “NSS” as a reference and enter PIN to confirm payment