Following the ongoing 2022 edition of the National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ), the producer of the competition, Primetime Limited has outlined rules and regulations governing the conduct of the national contest.
Launched on October 3, 2022, along with the balloting process and preliminary stage kickstarting on October 10, 2022, the quarterfinals of the NSMQ will commence from October 19 to 21, 2022 and the semifinals on October 23, 2022.
The grand finale of the 2022 National Science and Mathematics (NSMQ), Primetime has said will be held on October 26, 2022, at an auditorium of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST).
In a post sighted by AcademicWeek, the organizer said the total cash prize to be awarded to the 2022 NSMQ winner is GH¢70,000 indicating that GH¢C30,000 will go to the school, GH¢20,000 for contestants and GH¢20,000 also for teachers.
Amounting GH¢50,000 for the second prize, Primetime said the first runner-up school of the NSMQ will receive GH¢20,000, GH¢15,000 for contestants and also GH¢15,000 for teachers of the second-placed Senior High School.
For the second runner-up, it said the third-placed Senior High School will get GH¢15,000 with an amount of GH¢10,000 going to prospective contestants and teachers each.
“All six semifinalists who would not progress to the grand finale would receive a prize package of GH¢8,000 to be shared as follows; GH¢3,000 (school), GH¢2,500 (contestants) and GH¢ 2,500 (teachers),” Primetime stated in the post.
Primetime 2022/23 Science and Maths Quiz rules
1. Contestants will not be allowed to use calculators for their contests.
2. Complaints about questions, answers, and reports of cheating will not be entertained after the final results have been declared.
3. Teachers are not allowed on stage while the quiz programme is in progress.
4. Contestants must NOT ring the bell while another school is answering a question in Round One (1). This is considered to be bullying and may attract a penalty from the Quiz master/mistress for repeated infractions.
5. Where a school has evidence of cheating by another school, the teacher is to alert the Primetime Production Supervisor immediately, for appropriate action to be taken. Primetime reserves the right to disqualify a school caught cheating.
Started in 1993 and produced by Primetime Limited, the National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ) is an annual science and mathematics content-based national-level quiz competition for Senior High Schools across the country.
The quiz is to promote the study of science and mathematics and help students develop quick thinking and a probing and scientific mind about the everyday world around them while fostering healthy academic rivalry among SHSs.