The Ministry of Education (MoE) says it has no plans to phase out self-placement in this year’s Computerized School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) despite 2023 BECE students selecting 11 schools in the school selection.
In an interview with AcademicWeek, an official of the Ministry said students who sat for the 2023 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) will be made to select 6 public second-cycle schools and an additional 5.
“This year, we have two sections on the school selection form, thus 1st placement and 2nd placement section. Students are required to select 6 schools at the 1st placement section and another 5 at the 2nd placement area,” he said.
Asked if the self-placement module will be phased out considering the fact that students are made to select a maximum of 11-second cycle schools for the placement, he said “The self-placement will also be in use this year.”
“The 2023 BECE graduates will be selecting 11 schools but if a student is not placed in any of his/her selected 11 school choices then he/she will be given the opportunity to do self-placement,” the MoE official told AcademicWeek.com.
Self-placement is a process that gives students who participated in the BECE candidates an opportunity to go into the Computerized School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) portal and select from schools with available vacancies.
How to do self-placement
1. Visit https://cssps.gov.gh
2. Then select the check placement module on the left-hand side
3. Enter your BECE Index Number (eg. 100000000022) and
4. Enter your 10 digit E-voucher pin and
5. Enter your 5 digit pin code
6. Click on Proceed to be redirected to the self-placement module
When redirected successfully to the Self-placement module, you will be provided with a selection of schools to pick from based on the aggregate or grade you had in the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).
7. Choose carefully your desired second cycle school
8. Choose your residential preference (Day/Boarding).
9. Select your programme of choice
10. After doing all the necessary checks, confirm and print. Remember that once you have completed the selection process it can not be undone or changed